This monograph explores ways by which natural resource managers can address the sensitive issue of deforestation and forest degradation in the region. Emphasized is the need to take into account the value of the ecosystem services that forests provide when considering plans for land use change, especially when turning primary forests into agricultural plantations. The strategies featured are general enough to transcend different socio-economic and political settings so that users will build upon these strategies to better suit their unique situations.
EEPSEA Studies Cited in this Monograph
Insights and recommendations presented in this monograph came from the following studies on environmental and resource economics of the Economy and Environment Program for Southeast Asia:
- Amalia, M. and S. Syahril. 2016. Overview of the payment for ecosystem services implementation in Indonesia.
- Bui D.T. and Hong B.N. 2006. Payments for environmental services in Vietnam: Assessing an economic approach to sustainable forest management.
- Castillo, G.B.; C. Somaly; Li W.; Li Y.; L. Fatah; S. Malivarn; K.F. Lee; A.D. Anda, Jr.; P. Laengcharoen; Pham D.C; and B. Laplante. 2015. Fiscal gaps and financing of Southeast Asia’s protected areas: A cross-country analysis.
- Dang L.H. and Nguyen T.Y.L. 2009. Willingness to pay for the preservation of Lo Go – Xa Mat National Park in Vietnam.
- Heng N. and Kong S. 2016. A review of PES implementation in Cambodia.
- Hou, K. and S. Meas. 2010. A cost and benefit analysis of the community forestry project in Chumkiri district, Kampot province, Cambodia.
- Jarungrattanapong, R.; P. Mahasuweerachai; and O. Nabangchang. 2016. Payment for ecosystem services in Thailand and Lao PDR.
- Leimona, B.; B.K. Jack; B. Lusiana; and R. Pasha. 2009. Designing a procurement auction for reducing sedimentation: A field experiment in Indonesia.
- Macandog, P.B.M. 2016. An overview of PES implementation in the Philippines.
- McElwee, P.; Ngjiem P.T.; Le H.; and Vu H. 2015. Downscaling REDD policies in developing countries: Assessing the Impact of carbon payments on household decision making and vulnerability to climate change in Vietnam.
- Nguyen T.Y.L. and Pham T.N. 2014. Payment for environmental services in Southeast Asia: A regional review of policy implementation.
- Roongtawanreongsri, S.; P. Sawangchote; S. Bumrungsri; and C. Suksaroj. 2014. Economic benefits of management options for Kho Hong Hill, South Thailand.
- Thanthathep, K.K.; D. Souphonphacdy; and M. Baylatry. 2009. Using CVM for in-situ biodiversity conservation and sustainability: A case of the Houay Nhang Protected Area.
- Yem, D; N. Top; and V. Lic. 2011. Rubber plantation development in Cambodia: At what cost?